One-to-one session with José
Quarterly Live Q&A
Eligible for 14 CEUs with Yoga Alliance
You will learn:
- To analyse Yin and Yang (Hatha / Vinyasa) poses
- To recognise and work around anatomical limitations
- The different purposes of Yin and Yang poses
- Multiple variations of Yin and Yang yoga poses
- How to teach and cue your students in a functional way
Understand functional asana
Learn the purpose of Yin and Yang asanas and explore which movements strengthen or stretch a particular area in your body.
Learn pose variations
Learn how to adapt and adjust commonly practised asanas in Yin, Hatha and Vinyasa classes, to find the ones that will work best for you and your students.
Explore what's under the skin
Learn about skeletal differences and ranges of movement so that you can skilfully work with and around physical limitations.
About this course:
Are there particular Hatha, Vinyasa or Yin poses that you or your students find challenging? Do you or those you teach experience pain or pinching sensations in certain yoga poses? Are there any poses you avoid teaching or practicing because you're unsure how to work around physical limitations or injuries?
In this course we will examine the function of commonly challenging Yin and Yang asanas, and explore multiple variations suitable for different body types to find the ones that will be beneficial for you and your students.
Analysing different joint and body areas, from the neck to the lower back, the wrists, ankles, pelvis, arms and thighs, José highlights various limitations and explains how to work around these for a pain and injury-free practice.
This course has been created with the awareness that everyone's body is different. Therefore the ultimate goal of this training is to recognise and celebrate the unique nature of our bodies by making Yin and Yang asana practice adapt to and work for everyone.
Body part analysis:
Wrists, elbows and shoulder girdle
Arms and shoulder blades
Ankles and toes
Knee and leg rotation
Neck and lower back
- Eye of the Needle
- Sleeping Swan
- Ankle Stretch
- Squat and Toe Squat
- Eagle Arms
- Broken Wings
- Cow Face Arms
- Plank/ Phalakasana
- Side Plank/ Vasisthasana
- Upward Facing Dog/ Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
- Upward Plank/ Purvottanasana
- Wheel/ Urdhva Dhanurasana
- Downward Facing Dog/ Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Chair pose/ Utkatasana
- Warrior 1 & 2/ Virabhadrasana I & II
- Handstand/ Adho Mukha Vrksasana
- Forearm Stand/ Pincha Mayurasana
- Wild Thing/ Camatkarasana
- Wide Legged Forward Fold/ Prasarita Padottanasana
- Shoulderstand/ Salamba Sarvangasana
- Plough pose/ Halasana
- Cow Face pose/ Gomukhasana
- Four Limbed Staff pose/ Chaturanga Dandasana
- Triangle pose/ Trikonasana
- Lotus/ Padmasana
- Head-to-Knee Forward Bend/ Janu Sirsasana
- Three-Limbed Forward Bend/ Triang Mukha Eka Pada Paschimottanasana
- Half Bound Lotus Standing Forward Bend/ Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana
- Seated Forward Bend/ Paschimottanasana
- Mountain pose/ Tadasana
- Standing Forward Bend/ Uttanasana
- Wide-Legged Standing Forward Bend/ Prasarita Padottanasana
- Tortoise pose/ Kurmasana
- Extended Triangle pose/ Utthita Trikonasana
- Extended Hand to Big Toe pose/ Utthita Parsvasahita
- Splits/ Hanumanasana
- Standing Splits/ Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana
Yoga Alliance certification
Adapting Yin and Yang Yoga Poses in a Functional Way with José de Groot is eligible for 14 Continuing Education Credits with Yoga Alliance.
About José de Groot:
This online course is designed and taught by José de Groot (E-RYT 500 & YACEP).
José specialises in teaching Yin Yoga and Anatomy Teacher Trainings, and has been doing so since 2007. Her passion for teaching functional, intelligent and holistic yoga is fuelled by her own continued study and practice in functional anatomy, Yin and Yang yoga, Traditional Chinese Medicine, philosophy and psychology.
"I am very grateful that I was able to take this course – it’s given me a new perspective on the postures. José's extensive knowledge of anatomy offers brilliant insights into both Yin and Yang poses, and highlights how different alignment is for each practitioner’s unique body. I’ve learned how to adapt the postures according to their function and purpose. I recommend this course to everyone, teacher or student."